From Aidan Turner and Vanessa Kirby in starring roles to two heavyweight productions of Macbeth and a new musical about the assassination of Katie Hopkins – there’s much theatre to look forward to around the UK in 2018.
West End highlights
- The big draw in 2018 could be Poldark star Aidan Turner (above), who’s making his West End debut in Martin McDonagh’s terrorism satire The Lieutenant of Inishmore, directed by Michael Grandage at the Noel Coward Theatre (23 June – 8 September).
- Harry Potter and How to Get Away with Murder star Alfred Enoch (above) will join Alfred Molina in Red, about the painter Mark Rothko and his assistant, at the Wyndham’s Theatre (4 May – 28 July).
- Tina: The Tina Turner Musical, starring Adrienne Warren as the queen of Nutbush, will premiere at the Aldwych Theatre (21 March – 16 June).
- Baz Luhrmann and Drew McOnie’s Strictly Ballroom – based on the 1992 film – will sashay into the Piccadilly Theatre (16 March – 21 July).
- Kelli O’Hara and Ken Watanabe (above) will bring their Tony Award-winning revival of The King and I to the Palladium (21 June – 5 August).
- Sherlock and The League of Gentlemen’s Mark Gatiss (above) will be in his element in Alan Bennett’s The Madness of George III at Nottingham Playhouse (2-17 November).
- The Crown actress Vanessa Kirby (above) will leave Buckingham Palace to star in Julie, Polly Stenham’s modern-day update of August Strindberg’s tragedy Miss Julie at the National Theatre (from June).
- Also at the National, Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okonedo (above) will play Shakespeare’s iconic lovers Antony and Cleopatra (from September).
- Katherine Parkinson (above), of The IT Crowd and Doc Martin fame, will play a 1950s housewife in Laura Wade’s dark comedy Home, I’m Darling at Theatr Clwyd in Mold, north Wales(25 June – 14 July).
- Jim Broadbent (above) will play Hans Christian Andersen in the “dangerous, twisted and funny” A Very, Very, Very Dark Matter, a new play by Martin McDonagh at the Bridge in London (10 Oct – 29 Dec).
Macbeth v Macbeth
- Christopher Eccleston and Niamh Cusack (above) will star as Macbeth and Lady Macbeth for the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon (13 March – 18 September).
- Meanwhile in London, Rory Kinnear and Anne-Marie Duff (above) will play Shakespeare’s power couple in a rival production of Macbeth at the National Theatre (26 February – 12 May).
Britain’s busiest playwright?
- James Graham will have his fourth West End show in little over a year when Quiz – his dramatisation of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? coughing case – transfers to the Noel Coward Theatre from the Chichester Festival Theatre (31 March – 16 June).
- He’s got another new play opening at Hull’s Truck – The Culture is a behind-the-scenes satire of Hull’s year as UK City of Culture (26 Jan – 17 Feb).
Britain’s second busiest playwright?
- Bryony Lavery has two plays opening in two consecutive nights in February. A revival of her 1998 drama Frozen (no, not Disney), starring Suranne Jones and Jason Watkins (above), officially opens at the Theatre Royal Haymarket on 20 February (to 5 May).
- Then her adaptation of Graham Greene’s Brighton Rock has its press night at York Theatre Royal the following night (to 3 March, then touring).
- The centenary of women’s suffrage will be marked with a fascinating revival of Votes For Women by Elizabeth Robins (above) at the New Vic in Newcastle-under-Lyme (6-24 March). The landmark play was first staged in 1907 – 11 years before women won the vote.
- The 1984-5 miners’ strike has inspired Queens of the Coal Age by Maxine Peake (above) at the Royal Exchange in Manchester (28 June – 21 July) and Chicken Soup at Sheffield Crucible (9 February – 3 March), which follows the lives of three women from 1984 to today.
- In her first full programme as director of National Theatre of Wales, Kully Thiarai is marking the NHS’s 70th birthday with six shows telling the stories of patients and practitioners.
- Sam Mendes (above) will direct an English version of Italian writer Stefano Massini’s acclaimed five-hour play The Lehman Trilogy, which follows the rise and fall of Lehman Brothers. At the National (from July).
- The Inheritance, directed by Stephen Daldry, is about life as a young gay man in New York. The Young Vic bills it as “a major world premiere” and a “hilarious and profound heart-breaker” (2 March – 5 May).
- After writing BBC One’s Murdered By My Father, Vinay Patel has created An Adventure, following the upheavals of an Indian couple who make their way to London in the mid-20th Century (6 September – 20 October).
- Black Men Walking is inspired by the conversations of a black men’s walking group in the Peak District and promises to “turn a spotlight onto Britain’s missing histories”. It opens at the Royal Exchange (18 Jan – 3 Feb) before a UK tour.
- Writer Joe Penhall (Netflix’s Mindhunter) and director Roger Michell (Notting Hill) team up for Mood Music, about songwriters, lawyers and psychotherapists arguing in a recording studio. At the Old Vic (21 April-30 June).
From page to stage
- Books being adapted in 2018 include Paula Hawkins’ (above) best-seller The Girl on the Train, which gets its premiere at the West Yorkshire Playhouse in Leeds (12 May – 9 June). There’s no word on who will play Rachel, or indeed how they will get a train on stage.
- The same theatre will adapt Lisa Genova’s Still Alice (9 February – 3 March), starring The Inspector Lynley Mysteries actress Sharon Small. It’s the centrepiece of Every Third Minute, their theatre and dementia festival.
- Patrick Ness’s award-winning children’s novel A Monster Calls will be brought to life at the Bristol Old Vic (31 May – 16 June).
- The Fishermen, the Booker Prize-nominated novel by Chigozie Obioma, (above) will be adapted by Nigerian writer Gbolahan Obisesan for touring company New Perspectives. It starts at Home in Manchester (19-28 July).
- And the audience will be offered samples of food when cookery writer Nigel Slater’s memoir Toast is brought to the stage at The Lowry in Salford (22-28 May).
From screen to stage
- TV comedies being brought to the stage include ITV’s Benidorm, which begins a tour starring Sherrie Hewson, Janine Duvitski and Adam Gillen at the Newcastle Theatre Royal (7-15 Sept, then on tour).
- Craig Cash and Phil Mealey’s pub sitcom Early Doors will return at The Lowry (29 August – 15 September).
- Fleabag is hitting the road – starring Maddie Rice instead of Phoebe Waller-Bridge though. At the Soho Theatre (8-18 Jan) then on tour.
- A musical version of time-travel comedy Goodnight Sweetheart will launch at the Brookside Theatre in Romford, Essex (13-22 September).
New musicals find their voices
- Lots more musicals are launching away from the West End – including Fun Home, based on Alison Bechdel’s graphic memoir. It won five Tony Awards in 2015 and is moving to the Young Vic (18 June – 1 September).
- Sting’s The Last Ship (Sting pictured) is coming home to have its UK premiere at Newcastle’s Northern Stage (12 March – 7 April), before a UK tour.
- A new musical adaptation of the 1982 film An Officer and a Gentleman will get its premiere at the Leicester Curve (6-21 April).
- The life of theatrical pioneer Joan Littlewood (above) is being given the musical treatment by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Miss Littlewood (22 June – 4 August).
- Manchester’s musical powerhouse Hope Mill Theatre will set the highs and lows of mid-life dating to song with The Toyboy Diaries, adapted from Wendy Salisbury’s book (18 Jan – 10 Feb).
- The National Theatre of Scotland will stage My Right Foot, a musical satire about attitudes to disabled people, at the Edinburgh Fringe (1-28 August).
- And finally, we’ll witness The Assassination of Katie Hopkins (above) at Theatr Clwyd (20 April – 12 May) – another musical satire, this time about “truth, celebrity and public outrage”.
If you like our content help us with a share… or two …
Also - I have some free stuff for you .......
Nr 1. In This FREE Report you can Discover:
Secrets to acquiring the freshest, hottest leads via YouTube In-Stream ads quickly and easily! Best secret tips for the most effective targeting for your ads! Totally legal, but little-known method for literally stealing traffic from your competitors! Get more traffic to your videos and landing pages without spending a fortune! And much more - all within this special FREE report!
Nr 2. Did you know you can Absolutely EXPLODE YOUR EMAIL LIST FOR FREE with UNTOUCHED offline sources?
Nr 3. The #1 secret to becoming an affiliate superstar - Earn your first $100 online – without a dime to invest.
If you’re still looking to “make it online – I have just the thing for you. It’s a video series that shows how to make your first $100 online – even if you don’t have a dime to invest. Yes – nothing. Free. Nada. Is this possible? You bet. It’s the most powerful system used by those “in the know”. Good things don’t have to be difficult. And they don’t only come to those who wait. Have A Look
Nr 4. Top 10 Email Marketing Mistakes. Which of these mistakes do you make?
Nr 5. You can learn about : The hottest social networking site that will send an unlimited stampede of traffic to your site - for FREE! How to quickly locate a swarm of hungry buyers using "information portals"! The fast and easy way to use simple images to siphon targeted traffic, on command! Learn how to get the most possible traffic from Instagram, and make sure that traffic converts! And much more ...
Nr 6. It’s no secret… Facebook is an incredible place to get tons of free, viral traffic. But… most people are going about it all wrong. How many of these mistakes are you making? Download the free report to find out.
Nr 7. Special free report . It's called "Operation Midas Touch" and you can download it here...
The report features a surefire method for generating at least $1000 per week online,without a website or product of your own!
Nr 8. Instagram is still one of the hottest ways to get a LOT of traffic fast. All by sharing images. Sounds easy enough, yeah? Well, yes and no. If you want to really start driving a lot of traffic and making sales using Instagram then you should download this report.
Nr 9. When it comes to creating a product online there are so many ways to approach it. Wouldn’t it be great to just get the meat of it all so you can get started faster? Well, the good news is, today you can download a guide called the Product Creation Formula Quickstart Guide. It’s as the title suggests - a Quickstart guide. You’ll get a list of action steps to take right away. Download your copy today !
Nr 10. Would you like to finally USE all of that dusty PLR you have sitting around on your harddrive? Or maybe find the resources for the best PLR available - at the best prices? What about how to use that PLR to make you money with just a few minutes of work. Well, you’re not going to want to miss this!
Nr 11. Buzzfeed’s top post has more than 21 million views. Think about that for a sec… ONE of their articles has had over 21 million people who have read it! And they have thousands of articles... what would you do with that kind of traffic? A friend of mine hacked their method and was able to use it to get 11,592 targeted new subscribers in 2 weeks on their very first attempt!
Nr 12. Push notifications are one of today's hottest trends in website traffic and conversions, and for good reason. Studies have shown that as many as 40% of people will opt-in for push notifications, which is about TEN TIMES the rate of people who opt-in for emails! That’s huge! Not only that, but they're also highly effective at pulling clicks, as well. Some studies have shown CTR at an average of around 40%, with highs of as much as 80%! Again, that’s huge!
Nr 13. Would you like to know how to get more money from the exact same number of website visitors you’re currently getting? Even if you’re website is getting as few as 1-2 visitors a day, this report will show you how to increase your profits using these few handy hacks.
Nr 14. People have now realised that it's not the size of the list which matters, it's the quality. ... and the only way to create a quality list is by launching your own products. Let it be $7 ebooks, $17 info products, $27 video training product or software's... all of these work. My good friend Kevin Fahey has is revealing how he's launched over 20 products in the past 4 years, many of them top sellers. Needless to say he's banked a handsome amount in this time.
Nr 15. Do you ever feel that the man you like or even love, just doesn't see you or desire you in way you want him to? Or... maybe you're able to get a man's attention though not the right kind of attention? Or... maybe you're still single because you wait and wait for men to approach you first? What you may not know is that the way we flirt will either attract the "wrong" man for us or the "right" man.
Nr 16. When it comes to getting sales and leads online, there is ONE thing that 95% of marketers use... it's called a LIST. My friend Jimmy just released a free book that explains WHY a list is important and how YOU can build your own list. It's available right here (and it won't cost you a penny)
Nr 17. If you have tried everything, and still aren't able to get your Ex back, then you need to pay attention.
Nr 18. What if I told you that you could make ANY woman WANT to do ANYTHING for you? Would you think I'm crazy? Well... what If I told you that you could also make her LOVE every minute of it and come back for more?
Nr 19. I have a special free plugin for you today. It's called "Covert Hover Mini"
This plugin will triple your blog traffic by compelling your visitors to share your images on social media. This is some really clever stuff and it works like a charm. After you grab your free plugin, don't forget to read the free bonus report as it will show exactly how and why this strategy works like crazy.
Nr 20. The days of being able to get away with a basic WP theme and a pic or two are gone, your site needs to look good. Even Google are looking for you to have engaging graphics on your site. But getting good quality graphics made for your site is a pain, AND it will cost you both time and money (if you outsource it). But I have a special free download for you today. A virtual treasure chest of over 21K profit pulling graphics you can start sing today to generate more traffic & sales!
Nr 21. 20 professional full HD background videos. These background videos are perfect for giving your videos that extra kick they need to stand out from the crowd Oh yeah they are in full 1080p HD too, I hope you'll enjoy them.
Nr 23. No doubt, you've seen all of the video launches lately! There is a reason for it... Video marketing is a GREAT way to make money, and with the recent creation tools making it super accessable for anyone to get started... It's no surprise that more people are making videos. However... there is a missing element to most video marketing products...
Nr 24. For the first time ever... You can get the straight scoop on how someone is selling over $1,000,000/year of t-shirts on Facebook!Use them .... and have fun !